- 29-Jun-2014 to 27-Jul-2014 (CST)
- Salary negotiated with the GM or Co-op Operations Manager
- Full Time
Medical, Dental, Paid Time Off, Employee Discount
The purpose of all managers at Seward Co-op is to direct operations towards a realization of the Seward Co-op Ends Statement. Managers are expected to adhere to the Seward Co-op Code of Ethics in the creation and maintenance of a positive workplace, a strong cooperative and a welcoming and attractive retail shopping environment. Managers are to enhance the character of Seward Co-op through operational initiatives that impact success as measured by the Seward Co-op Scorecard.
The Merchandising Manager of the Seward Co-op will support and be guided by these high level goals while maintaining and shaping the merchandising systems that will empower the Seward Co-op's management and staff to be efficient and effective in serving the needs of our community. The Merchandising Manager will serve the co-op by planning, organizing, and evaluating Merchandising Department operations and managing staff relationships.
Strategic Leadership and Planning
• Work with the General Manager and other team members to assess, develop and execute co-op's strategic plans to realize the long term vision and Ends.
• With appropriate input, propose to General Manager and other team members, recommendations to improve Seward Co-op's policies, procedures, practices and organizational structure.
• Work with General Manager and Finance Manager to develop and oversee operating and capital budgets to accomplish Merchandising and co-op wide goals.
• Achieve financial goals by seeking solutions that use resources effectively to improve the cooperative experience for other stakeholders.
• Collaborate with appropriate stakeholders to facilitate initiatives required to achieve co-op objectives that further the Ends.
• Identify needs and organize Advisory Committees when appropriate.
• Strive for a balance between transparency, security and maintaining confidentiality with regards to personnel issues and the co-op's strategic plans and priorities.
Department Management and Employee Relations
• Model supportive and participatory leadership; build teamwork and motivate staff to accomplish cooperative goals and realize the Ends. Be inclusive when making decisions, sharing opinions openly and respecting other points of view.
• Ensure a fair and safe work place for all staff consistent with the Employee Handbook and the goal of being a progressive workplace.
• Uphold all co-op policies and procedures.
• Recruit, hire and train qualified Merchandising staff following established policy.
• Recommend pay rates for direct reports within department budget and co-op pay scale.
• Ensure that Merchandising staff are scheduled according to established labor budget and broader cooperative operational needs.
• Follow and enforce performance standards and HR policies for Merchandising staff.
• Complete timely and thoughtful evaluations of peers and staff.
• Ensure that merchandising information is communicated effectively to stakeholders throughout the co-op.
• Maintain Merchandising integrity and confidentiality.
• Develop a department succession plan.
• Contribute regularly to employee newsletter, the Scoop.
• Model efficient and friendly customer service.
• Provide staff with merchandising training, tools, and resources.
• Provide vision and leadership in the creation and maintenance of unique, welcoming and attractive retail shopping environments.
• Oversee the Merchandising department and ensure effective delivery of services to co-op business units.
• Oversee co-op wide category management, pricing, promotions, and visual merchandising.
• Work with Store Managers to ensure synergy of co-op and store merchandising and operational goals.
• Work with the Marketing Manager to tell the story of Seward Co-op through coordinated merchandising and marketing efforts including co-op events, signage, décor, sales materials, and the Sprout! newsletter.
• Work with the Marketing Manager to manage brand programs such as P6 and Nourish.
• Lead a merchandising team in developing merchandising strategies and planning seasonal promotions. Maintain the co-op promotional calendar and administer the sales flyer program.
• Facilitate teamwork across sales departments and business units to achieve merchandising objectives.
• Develop and maintain systems and tools that support merchandising objectives.
• Develop and maintain co-op product standards.
• Oversee the negotiation of co-op purchasing and promotional contracts and ensure compliance with established contracts.
• Develop pricing strategy to achieve co-op objectives including margin goals and competitive price image. Administer the Market Basket price audit process.
• Oversee store floor plans and category layouts. Regulate department access to display areas and facilitate major resets.
• Manage a merchandising expense budget and oversee the selection of fixtures and décor.
• Determine product departments, sub-depts., and categories.
• Participate in "Inspect what you expect" store audits.
Other tasks as assigned by General Manager
• Participate on teams as needed or as determined by the General Manager.
• Support the Seward Co-op Scorecard through initiatives and providing data as needed.
• Make decisions that treat co-op stakeholders (vendors, members, customers, employees) equitably.
• Contribute regularly as needed, to Seward Co-op's owner newsletter the Sprout!
• Attend conferences, trainings and industry events and assist other co-ops as appropriate. Network with NCGA peers to share and collaborate on best practices. Participate on NCGA committees as appropriate and directed by General Manager.
• Provide support and data to the General Manager for monitoring reports required by the board of directors.
• Attend and participate in board meetings at the request of the General Manager.
• Perform other tasks assigned by General Manager.
• Management, supervisory or leadership experience in retail or a co-operative business environment.
• Knowledge of the natural foods grocery industry.
• Experience managing products, promotions, and displays.
• Ability to interpret financial statements, develop budgets and meet financial goals.
• Capacity for decision making, including ability to organize, prioritize, and delegate multiple, at times competing, demands.
• Excellent leadership ' ability to inspire and motivate outstanding performance in others.
• Experience in facilitating group processes.
• Ability to guide the development of programs and systems from vision to implementation.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently.
• Ability to work collaboratively in team environment.
• Strong communication skills in the English language (e.g., good listener) and ability to convey clear directions. Ability to communicate technical information to nontechnical audiences.
• Computer literacy and proficiency with appropriate programs and technologies for Merchandising Manager.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Regular, predictable attendance.
• Willingness and ability to meet the changing requirements of the position.
• Experience in visual arts and/or marketing a plus.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts!